Sunday, April 09, 2006 [ 6:19 PM ]

SHAKE-A-MINUTE

"Gugulong ka sa sarap..."

For a newly graduate like me, this year’s summer would be far from the previous summers I’ve experienced before. If I used to stay at home during summer, this year would be different.

This summer, almost all newly graduates are expected to hunt for a stable job and eventually start working as soon as possible. But the problem is that there are not enough job opportunities available for another batch of unemployed citizens of the country. Actually, there are lots of jobs out there but there is not enough that suits the qualifications of the newly grads. There are lots looking for plumbers, carpenters and the likes but I cannot seem to see university graduates who spent their money for education landing in those kinds of jobs. They would at least look for something that could compensate their expenses.

I admit that I am one of those newly graduates that are looking for a job suited for my degree. But I if there is something that differs me from all those jobseekers, I think, that it’s my willingness to land in any job available. (Illegal jobs not included) Of course I’ll not stop looking for a job that I really like or something that could be permanent, but I do not want to waste my time sitting in the corner of our house when I know that my parents badly needs my help.

But I cannot help them financially when I’m still unemployed. So with the P200 I’ve saved, (that P200 was the refunded amount form Roxanne’s, which I never returned to my parents.) I decided to start a very small business in the wet market near our house.

Since I really hated summer because of too much heat, I decided to use that as an advantage. I started a mango shake business, Shake-a-Minute mango shake “Gugulong ka sa sarap”. I bought P150 worth of mangoes, (TIP: mangoes with few rotten parts are sweeter and much cheaper) P30 sugar and P21 milk. Borrowed a blender and a Styrofoam container from my cousin and presto! An instant business.

The first day of my business was not bad. For P5 per glass, I’ve gained my P200 back and earned P60 plus I still have some ingredients I can use tomorrow that will soon be converted as my income. Though my dad and my brother were my first detractors I just ignored them. I know that they are not really used to doing such business. Although I can hear them and my relatives joking “Yan, UST yan tindero nalang ng shake” I don’t mind them. I don’t want to remain stagnant, I wanted to help and I will help in any way I can, in any way possible.

Selling street foods is not new to me so starting this business is somewhat easy. I’ve experienced selling bibingka in the streets when I was seven or eight years old and I have been a newspaper boy for more than five years. I even sold brownies and birthday cards at school when I was in high school. I don’t care what others say, for as long as I know that what I’m doing is right, I’ll do it come what may.

My Shake-a-minute fruit shake is available from Mondays to Fridays from 7am to 6pm at Kapak palengke Caloocan City. For more information just email me at imchiz@gmail.com (parang PR lang e hehe)


7 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

"...that P200 was the refunded amount form Roxanne’s, which I never returned to my parents."

LOLLL man funny post! XD But seriously, dude, way to go! You're way more productive than I'm being, I can tell you that much. :D Keep going at it. BTW Kala ko ba ung brownies ung "gugulong ka sa sarap(TM)"? ^__^

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, bilib ako sayo. When Art told me about this I thought it was hilarious, but after reading that, I'm proud of you. XD NAKS lol. KAYA LANG BA'T NAMAN GANYAN ANG PANGALAN? LOL ahahaha

Btw, about your April 7 entry...Si Chris ba nagsulat nyan? IKAW RIN PALA EH. lol XD Dramahan heheh.

1:41 AM  
Blogger chizjarkace said...

Elizel, "ung gugulong ka sa sarap" ay trademark ng lahat ng Chris edible goodies and products hehe. Abby, shake-a-minute parang chikka minute hehe

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe. hindi ako epal, pero pwede bang magpa-deliver na lang? i love shakes but i hate wet markets eh. kuyit!

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

free taste!!! :)

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like abby, initial reaction ko nung tinext mo sakin yan, natawa talaga ako. pero deep inside, bilib ako. parang pang-PIPOL lang ah. XD

may puno kami ng mangga. pag nagkabunga na at naging hinog, supplier mo na ako. XD

4:14 AM  
Blogger chizjarkace said...

Rio: oo ba hehe Joyce:cge pag hndi natunaw hehe Mitch:yes anyabang may hacienda ng magga hehe

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home